Student Governance – AFU Student Council
What is AFU Student Council?
Al Falah University Students Council is structured through students’ representatives only. They work with all involved parties in the university like; management, instructors, staff and all university students.
Role & Objectives
The students’ council main role is to help introducing and presenting students’ ideas, interests, problems, and concerns in cooperation with all university involved parties. They are an effective body for helping out the community through organizing related social events, community projects and other related activities.
Al Falah University Students Council core objectives:
- Presenting students of Al Falah University in issues which has an effect on their educational experience, and enhance the communication between students and university’s management and staff.
- Encouraging students cultural, sports, societies and community activities
- Promoting a respectful environment and friendship between students
- Supporting Al Falah University’s authorities, management, and staff in University development internally and externally
- Presenting the students views in matters of general concern to them
- Providing and administering demanded services as necessary to meet students’ needs
Responsibilities of Student Council Members (SCM)
- Ensuing, promoting, applying and enforcing Al Falah University rules, policies, and regulations where and when ever is applicable.
- Communicating and coordinating with all students groups and forums
- Reporting and communicating with Al Falah University management on students concerns and faced issues.
- Publishing and updated personal information for all Students Council Members, and schedule of members availability for both students and Al Falah University management.
- Arranging and getting an approval for social, academic and other recommended activities events schedule beginning of each semester.
- Developing services that benefit all students bodies irrespective of their national origin, color, gender, disability or religion.
Who Can Join?
- Any Student who is enrolled and registered as a full time student in an undergraduate and postgraduate program at Al Falah University is entitled and eligible to join AFU students’ council.
- Membership ends either when the student:
- - Is no longer registered and enrolled in AFU, or
- - Withdrawn from the students council, or
- - Expirations of period
How to Become AFU Student Council Member (SCM)
In order for the student to be AFU student council Member, he/she needs to apply for AFU students’ council annual election
Desired Structure of Students Council Members (SCM)
- Vice President
- Public Relations and Media Coordinator
- International and Community outreach events coordinator
- AFU Student Council Departments:
- Academic Activities
- International and Community Outreach Events
AFU SCM Election
Election process will be conducted annually in September of each academic year. All students of AFU are encouraged to be part of this process either as candidates or voters.
The SCM Election Procedure:
Nomination of Candidates
- Every candidate should fill a nomination form that includes: full name, address and contact details, college and major of study, AFU student’s ID number
- Review and evaluation of all nominated candidates
- Submission of Nominated candidates’ personal statements
- Election (one week period)
- Declaration of results (within one week from closing the voting)
SCM Period of Office
All SCM will hold office for the duration of the calendar year in which they were elected.
Meetings of SCM
- SCM shall meet at least once each month of the academic year, as convinced for all members. Official meetings shall only be arranged on University premises.
- Secretary of the SC will arrange with all members and notify them one week in advance with time, place and agenda of the meeting.
- Meeting will take place upon 75% of members’ physical presence and any decision should be voted for. Minutes of meeting should be recorded and distributed for approval.